Friday, August 27, 2010

The trouble with tribbles ...

As is my routine ... I like to take my final stroll of the evening in the 500 square feet that belongs solely to me. I take pride in ownership and am wont to allow strangers into my midst. It has come to my attention whilst I am inside the house, interlopers will converge in my backyard and remain there, undisturbed, until I make my presence known ... at which time, squirrel and hare will scatter to the winds.

I have developed a method to deal with these unwelcome visitors. When the time comes for me to take that final stroll .... Mom and I will exit the back door, save for the cast of the porch light it's very dark. Until the motion sensor on the deck stairs is tripped, the backyard remains shrouded in darkness. The sensors aim is off for me but Mummy can set it off as she approaches. Once tripped, the light can bathe part of the area in light. But even then, I still cannot see the darker corners. The moment the light turns on, I will race down the stairs and approach the furthest, darkest corner ... that place where the bunny can usually be found. A favored spot where he seems to have worn a low-spot under the fence as he traverses fearlessly between my own house and the house next door.

With the confidence of a hardened warrior, I approach this spot in the yard and although I may have missed my chance today ... one day I will catch that cottontail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers